Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dead Man Espresso – South Melbourne

Dead Man Espresso 35 Market Street, South Melbourne
Dead Man Espresso is a stylish little cafe situated just off the bustling Clarendon St, South Melbourne. The quaint cafe features a communal table surrounded by the usual smaller seating options. The cafe is furnished beautifully using wood throughout to create a very warming space. The menu is small but the choices excellent.
Visited on the 22nd June by Scott and Nick. Will = FAIL as friend
Anyone with Pork Belly on the menu is an instant winner to me! NOM NOM NOM give me pork of any variety and you are a WINNER! I also think i might take up skiing as the beautiful interior made me feel like i was walking into a wooden (complete with smell) ski lodge when coming in from the cold. The menu is soooo homely with beautiful thick cut breads with butter and a nice selection of foods. I chose to go with the brown mushroom omelet with a side of pork belly. The ingredients were delightful fresh and flavor some. The pork crisp and fatty (in a good way!) and the coffee was nice and smooth. It’s hard writing a review on something you like as it is so much easier to write-up on something you dislike. My only real gripe with the place is I found the staff a little slack. I would have happily gone for another coffee had they asked and I also had to jump up and down from my chair to get my own water. This would be acceptable if it was a busy place but the only had about four tables when we were in. However the whole place is charming and i also notice they had an application in for longer hours, it would make a perfect dinner venue in South Melbourne. I am truly sorry for my lack of wit during this review. – Nick
Please tell me we all picked up on the dirtiness of Nick’s comment- “give me pork of any variety and you are a WINNER!”. BOL. But he is right. Dead Man Espresso was great. The smell of the wood as we walked in reminded me of when I was a lumberjack and lived in a log cabin. The fact that they had a dish simply called Avocado on Toast mad me happy. It turned out top be a huge slice of toast with pretty much a whole avocado served with crispy bacon and the dead man relish, which I think was pineapple. Anyone that knows how I feels about breakfast will know that this combination is pretty much all I need to get by. I was super happy to have it there waiting for me. Service was friendly and relaxed. The water thing didn’t bother me as Nick was closest so he was the one that had to keep getting up. Nice coffee. It was just great to relax in a nice and open place, but still remain warm and toasty. Just a quick mention that the toilets here are weird. Not cool/funky weird. Just strange. -Scott
BAGEL RATING!


NICK: 8.5/10 A beautiful warming place for winter. PORK PORK PORK NOM NOM NOM
SCOTT: 9/10 Massive bonus to look at a menu and see a dish that is pretty exactly what you would want in your mouth. And to not feel like I have to eat egg for it to be a real breakfast. ForthisIthankyouDeadManEating.org

No comments:

Post a Comment