Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birdman Eating – Fitzroy

Birdman Eating 238 Gertrude St. Fitzroy
A small eatery on the very cute Gertrude street. On Saturday and Sunday mornings expect to queue up for a table in this small box like cafe. Its brunch menu has a wide range and interesting mix of the sweet and savory worlds, the Birdman prides itself on its selection of baked eggs specials.
Visited 8st of June 2010 by Scott, Nick & Will
A last minute decision to have brunch here was the second best decision made on the day. (the best was to wear my super warm cardigan on this horridly nipply morn) I have been here on weekends and waited for ages for a table. On a Tuesday morning the pace in the cafe is slower, which the feet-dragging waitresses took full advantage of. Lift your feet!! Otherwise, started with a lovely coffee which I downed in minutes and swiftly ordered another. I had the Birdman specialty of the baked eggs, I chose the wild mushroom, rocket and goats cheese eggs. I enjoyed the dish thoroughly, although the cherry on top was my gloriously crunchy slice of sourdough toast topped with a cube of buttery goodness. Will’s dish was a really cool mix of sweet and savory which got me excited. And we just couldn’t work out what flavour the ice-cream was, but it was yummy. The atmosphere in the cafe was a little dull but I loved the art work and decoration inside. (Scott)
“The world is about to end. But you are given one chance to save yourself if you sleep with an animal. WHAT WOULD YOU SLEEP WITH?” This was the question that was put to me by Scott as I sat down to my breakfast at Birdman. Perhaps this question was also posed to the owners of this cafe and they thought they would choose a eating bird… HENCEFORTH Birdman Eating. I must admit my meal was somewhat hampered by Scott’s of kilter question, especially when I started to eat a kransky. Look, the coffee was good but not great. Likewise with the decor. I found it very dark and a little thrown together, and on a winter’s day the last place you want to go is somewhere dark. The things hanging from the roof were very cute and novel. The breakfast was great. I had kransky with cheesy polenta and sauteed onions. The sweetness of the onions mixed beautifully with the savory flavors on the plate. The service was excellent. The place is good but not amazing. The menu has nothing generic on it… like breaky eggs! Which might turn some people off. Over all it was pleasant not bad not overwhelmingly great. (Nick)
Can I just say the question is: Someone will murder you if you don’t have sex with a living animal. Which one would you choose? (the difference being that you get to keep your life and the world stays intact and does not end) It is a perfectly reasonable question, but in hindsight could probably be saved for AFTER eating. (Scott)
Scott, your question is wrong, no matter where in the breakfast conversation it is placed. After being informed that our first choice for a breakfast location was closed, (who closes on a Tuesday?) we settled for Birdman Eating. This is just across the road from Centido Funf. Okay Fitzroy, I get that you’re trying to be different, but just cool it with the crazy names. I chose the Brioche with Kaiserfleish, Orange Pekoe and Maple Syrup. The brioche was French toasted, the Kaiserfleish was bacon, Orange Pekoe was the flavour of the ice-cream, and maple syrup is maple syrup. My breakfast = winner. It was salty, it was sweet, it was a diabetes in breakfast form. The coffee was good, the breakfast was amazing. I just wish there was more of it! The waitresses were obviously looking for a tip, because they continually filled up our water. Note to waitresses: just leave the jug on the table and we’ll do it when we want. They were totes quiet as, and I didn’t see the need for three front-of-house staff on a quiet Tuesday morning. One of them just lacked any type of personality, as she just slumped up and down and in and out of the bar. Birdman Eating was good. A good breakfast eatery, but can see more potential in its night atmosphere. PS: Kaiserfleish translates to ‘Emperor’s Meat’… Kinky…(Will)
Bagel Rating!
Scott: 8.5 Great menu, nice coffee. I also appreciated that our water was constantly topped up. We were well looked after.
Nick: 6/10 maybe even a 7. Yes the water was plentiful. The service was nice, the food great. Maybe I will try it when it is busier and see if I get a different vibe.
Will: 6.5/10. Good, not amazing. The meal was well-presented, lovely flavours and good coffee.

Scott and Nick, BANG!

No comments:

Post a Comment